Pregnancy and childbirth are wonderful, but both take a toll on the woman’s body. After childbirth, many women find it challenging to get their pre-pregnancy body back. While diet and exercise can do a lot, they still may have issues with loose skin, sagging breasts, and stubborn fat deposits.
That’s where a mommy makeover comes in. This popular procedure can help a woman improve her body’s shape and contour.
Below is more information about a mommy makeover and how to select the best doctor for your procedure.
Mommy Makeover Overview
A mommy makeover is a broad term that refers to a set of surgical procedures to help a woman to address common body issues after pregnancy and childbirth. A woman can have a variety of procedures in her mommy makeover, but the most common focus areas are the stomach, breasts, and face.
Some of the things that a mommy makeover can do for you include:
- Enhance the size of the breasts
- Lift sagging breasts to a higher position on the chest
- Improve asymmetrical breasts
- Repair stretched areola and large nipples
- Remove sagging skin from the abdomen
- Remove extra fat from the stomach, sides, legs, and arms
- Repair stretched abdominal muscles
- Enhance the fit of swimsuits and snug clothing
Some of the most popular procedures in a mommy makeover are:
- Breast augmentation
- Breast lift
- Tummy tuck
- Arm lift
- Leg lift
Choosing A Mommy Makeover Surgeon
One of the most important factors in your procedure is choosing a skilled surgeon to do the work. Below are some of the things to consider when selecting your surgeon:
Check Board Certification
Before you make an appointment with a surgeon, be sure they are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons. When a surgeon is board-certified, you know they have the most rigorous training in plastic surgery.
Also, they need to pass a tough oral and written examination to show they are proficient in their field.
Keep in mind that many doctors may offer plastic surgery procedures to boost their revenue. While any surgeon and many doctors can offer plastic surgery procedures, they usually don’t have the training and experience of someone who is board certified.
Look At Online Reviews
It’s easier today than ever to read reviews about surgeons’ past work. You can often find testimonials on the surgeon’s website, but reviews are also posted on Google Reviews, Yelp, RealSelf, and RealPatientRatings.
Read these reviews to get an idea of the consensus for that surgeon on mommy makeovers. If you see 10 or 20 reviews that are positive, that’s a great sign.
Remember that there’s no pleasing some people, so an occasional bad review isn’t a cause for alarm.
How Experienced Is The Surgeon With Mommy Makeovers?
It’s best to choose a surgeon with years of experience with mommy makeovers. Find a surgeon who has performed many breast augmentations, tummy tucks, and liposuction procedures.
They will have the experience and expertise to offer you the best procedures with favorable results. Experienced surgeons also usually know the latest technologies that offer the best outcomes.
Check Before-And-After Photos
Reviews are great, but before-and-after photos of your surgeon’s work tell the tale. These pictures are the best way to see the surgeon’s skill and style.
As you look at the photos, do the results for that breast augmentation look natural? Does that facelift look like the person had work done? Is that tummy tuck symmetrical?
The more before-and-after photos the surgeon has, the easier it is to judge their work. This means the surgeon has many past patients who are pleased with their results.
Ask If You Are A Good Candidate
Your surgeon should talk to you extensively to find out if you are a good candidate for a mommy makeover. Not every patient should have a mommy makeover; there are many factors in play. Some of the factors your surgeon should consider before approving you for surgery are:
- Overall health: To be eligible for a mommy makeover, you need to be in good health so you can handle having several procedures at once.
- Lifestyle: You should eat a healthy diet, exercise often, not smoke, or drink to excess.
- Attitude: It’s important to have a positive attitude about your surgery and understand what it can and cannot do.
- Family matters: Your surgeon should ask you if you plan to have children in the future. It’s best to wait until you are finished having children before undergoing several cosmetic procedures.
Talk To The Surgeon
After you have checked the above criteria, it’s time to set up a consultation and talk to them in person.
When you go for your consultation, some things to look for are:
- Is the surgical area clean and bright?
- Is the staff friendly and welcoming?
- Does the doctor seem honest and straightforward? It’s their job to tell you what is best for you and not necessarily what you want to hear?
- Does the surgeon listen to what you ask and respond clearly?
- Does the surgeon take your goals into consideration rather than try to get you to have procedures you don’t want?
Remember that you will work with the surgeon for at least a few months during your recovery. So it’s important that you have a good relationship with each other.
Asking the questions above will help you decide if having a mommy makeover is a good fit for your goals.
Request a Houston Mommy Makeover Consultation
Interested in a mommy makeover in Houston? Please set up a consultation with Dr. Ashley Steinberg today. She’ll talk to you about the benefits and risks of a mommy makeover.
Mommy Makeover Questions. (n.d.). Accessed at https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/mommy-makeover/surgeon
Everything You Need To Know About A Mommy Makeover. (n.d.). Accessed at https://www.plasticsurgery.org/news/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-a-mommy-makeover