Following childbirth, eliminating excess skin and fat that developed during pregnancy can be a daunting task. The body undergoes various transformations after giving birth, and certain aspects such as breast fullness may not regain their youthful appearance.
These prevalent body concerns post-pregnancy have contributed to the popularity of mommy makeovers. A mommy makeover encompasses a series of plastic surgery procedures that target the common areas of concern for women after childbirth.
While a mommy makeover can consist of several procedures, the most commonly sought-after ones include:
The results of a mommy makeover can be impressive. But it’s understandable if you have concerns about mommy makeover scars. While you cannot avoid scarring from this procedure, your plastic surgeon will try to make incisions that are as small and hard to see as possible.
If you are considering a mommy makeover, below is important information to consider, including how to reduce scarring.
WHAT DOES A MOMMY MAKEOVER DO?
Your mommy makeover will be customized according to your body and plastic surgery procedures goals. Not every woman needs the same plastic surgery procedures. Most women have at least one or two of these procedures in a mommy makeover:
Breast Augmentation And Lift
Most women need at least a breast lift after giving birth. This is because your breasts expand and contract when milk is produced during pregnancy. As a result, the breasts may increase two or three cups, then go back down when the baby is breastfeeding.
The breast skin stretches to accommodate the larger breasts, so the breasts may be flat and saggy. But a breast lift can move the breasts up to where they were before pregnancy.
Some women also opt for breast augmentation after childbirth because the breasts tend to shrink. Breast Augmentation scars should be minimal for mommy makeover patients.
It can be challenging to eliminate stubborn fat after pregnancy, including the abdomen, flanks, and thighs. Liposuction involves sucking excessive fat out of problem areas with a cannula.
Tumescent liposuction is the most popular procedure, which involves injecting lidocaine and epinephrine into the treatment area to reduce swelling and bleeding. Then the fat is removed along with the fluid. Expect liposuction scars but they should be minimal.
Most pregnant women have issues with loose fat and skin in the belly. Even if you diet and exercise, you may have several pounds of extra tissue you cannot eliminate this is where the Tummy Tuck procedure works well.
Your plastic surgeon can remove the extra skin and fat and pull the remaining belly skin down to make it tighter. The surgeon also may use tummy tuck incision to tighten the abdominal muscles and try to reduce the tummy tuck scars.
The result is a flat, taut stomach that makes you look years younger.
MOMMY MAKEOVER Surgery CONSIDERATIONS
Some may believe that a mommy makeover can give you your pre-pregnancy body back in a few months, but that’s not true. It’s essential to wait at least six months after your last pregnancy before considering a mommy makeover.
But you may have heard about celebrities getting their pre-pregnancy bodies back a month or two after pregnancy. What’s that about? First, most stars work with trainers and nutritionists when they are pregnant.
They usually eat a healthy diet and engage in light exercise during pregnancy, so they may avoid excessive weight gain in the first place. If you can do that, too, you may be able to limit at least some of your weight gain to water. That weight is easy to lose after childbirth.
So, the more fat you gain when pregnant, the more weight you will need to lose later. While it’s essential to eat a healthy diet for yourself and the baby, avoid eating unhealthy carbohydrates that lead to excessive weight gain.
Your mommy makeover can dramatically change your shape and look, but you will have better results if you avoid excessive weight gain during pregnancy. Plus, it’s essential to wait at least six months after childbirth before having surgery.
8 TIPS TO REDUCE MOMMY MAKEOVER SCARS
You can reduce mommy makeover scars by following these tips:
- Purchase silicone sheets to make your scars flatter and less raised. These sheets also will prevent too much scar tissue from forming and reduce the red or purple color.
- Follow your surgeon’s instructions after surgery, so your incisions and wounds heal faster. This means you should take care of the wounds, eat right, and not smoke or drink alcohol.
- Put vitamin E cream on your incisions daily, which will make the incisions heal faster and improve the scar texture.
- Keep your incisions out of the sun and UV light, so the scars don’t get darker.
- Get plenty of rest after your mommy makeover. The more you can relax and avoid strenuous movement, the better your scars will look.
- Drink a lot of water. When your body is well hydrated, the circulatory system works the best, and this helps the skin to heal.
- Take vitamin C supplements and eat fruits and vegetables to improve healing time and make the skin healthier.
- Rub aloe vera on your incisions to help breast lift scars and all other scars to heal and fade over time.
A mommy makeover is a proven way to improve your body contours after pregnancy and childbirth. If you choose a skilled surgeon, you will have excellent results. And using the above methods will reduce scarring and ensure you love the results.
REQUEST A HOUSTON MOMMY MAKEOVER CONSULTATION
Interested in a mommy makeover in Houston? Please set up a consultation with Dr. Ashley Steinberg board certified plastic surgeons today.
She’ll talk to you about mommy makeover procedures options and help you decide if it’s a good choice for you.
- Everything You Need To Know About A Mommy Makeover. (n.d.). Accessed at https://www.plasticsurgery.org/news/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-a-mommy-makeover