The Brazilian butt lift (BBL) is getting more popular; the American Society of Plastic Surgeons or ASPS reports a 30% increase in the procedures between 2014 and 2015.
The BBL is a plastic surgery procedure that uses liposuction to remove fat from one part of the body and transfer it into the buttocks. Women often have fat removed from the stomach, thighs, and waist, resulting in better contours in those areas.
This results in a rounder, more lifted rear that is more popular in our society today.
If you are thinking about BBL, below is essential information to know.
After the BBL, you can expect swelling and bruising in the areas that received liposuction. You can manage the pain with medication, but you should try to switch from prescribed narcotics to Tylenol before driving.
Every patient has a different recovery, but you can expect to be walking around about a day after your BBL.
You will have sore buttocks for several weeks after the procedure. That’s why you will not be able to sit down much or sleep on your back after BBL for a while. But if you follow your surgeon’s instructions, you should be able to sit again without a special pillow after six weeks.
Your surgeon will probably give you a compression garment to wear for the areas where you had liposuction. You should wear this garment all the time except for showering for about two months to ensure that your skin adheres to your new shape.
It also reduces swelling and discomfort. The compression garment may not cover the buttocks because it could kill the newly transferred fat as it settles into its new location.
Take Care Of Your Rear
One of the most critical steps in your BBL recovery is to never sit on your buttocks for at least two months. Instead, it’s best to sleep on your sides or stomach, and if you must sit at some point, use a donut pillow.
Also, putting a pillow behind the legs will help to avoid placing pressure on your fat grafts. This is vital to get the best results; sitting on the rear can damage blood circulation to the new fat grafts.
Reduced blood flow can destroy the fat cells that are new to that area. Note that as much as 40% of the new fat cells may die, whether you sit or not. After the first two months, you should use a pillow or cushion when you sit down. Also, don’t sleep on your back for at least eight weeks.
Getting Back To Normal
After your Brazilian butt lift procedure, you should not engage in high-impact activities, especially anything that involves bouncing, such as running or aerobics. Depending on how well your body responds, you can probably go back to normal activities after eight weeks.
When the fat cells stabilize, you can get back to your more vigorous exercise program, as they should be able to tolerate the stress of jogging and running.
More To Expect After BBL Surgery
There are more things to know about recovering from BBL to remember:
- The surgical area may look big after surgery: You will have some swelling, so don’t be shocked if it seems too big or is even asymmetrical at first. Remember that about 40% of the fat cells will die and be reabsorbed by the body, so your buttock area will reduce in size over time.
- The recovery process differs for everyone: We know that most people should not sit on their backsides or sleep on their backs for six to eight weeks. But some people need more or less time with these restrictions.
- Sitting is challenging at first: You may never have realized how much you sit until you can’t do it! Avoid it as much as you can; try a standing desk for work. If you need to sit, use a pillow that your doctor recommends.
- You have to wait for weight loss: This isn’t the time to be worried about working out to lose weight. Instead, just eat right with a healthy balanced diet, so you do not gain weight. Also, your body needs the proper fuel to recover, so choose lean proteins and fruits and vegetables.
- Other parts of your body will look fantastic: Your surgeon needed to use liposuction to get the fat needed for your BBL. So you can expect to have a trimmer abdomen, love handles, and even upper back.
Just remember that most BBLs go well with few consultations. You can ensure you have great results with few complications by following your surgeon’s instructions.
Request a Houston BBL Consultation
Interested in a Brazilian butt lift in Houston? Please set up a consultation with Dr. Ashley Steinberg today. She’ll talk to you about the benefits and risks of the procedure to determine if you’re a good candidate for BBL.
Recovering From A BBL. (n.d.). Accessed at https://www.plasticsurgery.org/news/blog/recovering-from-a-brazilian-butt-lift
Brazilian Butt Lift Recovery. (2021). Accessed at https://www.verywellhealth.com/brazilian-butt-lift-recovery-5086814