Many Americans don’t like the appearance of their butt, whether it’s as a result of the aging process or associated with substantial weight loss, leading to the presence of excess skin they often want to have procedures done to create more volume and a rounder toned appearance.
Fortunately, several safe, affordable buttock augmentation procedures can be done to make this area of the body look younger, more attractive, and desirable.
This guide describes the most common surgeries for a better butt, recovery, risks, and more.
Butt Augmentation Procedures
The goal of buttock implants is to make it larger and enhance its shape. But there are several ways plastic surgeons can make this happen. The major butt enhancement procedures are listed below.
Brazilian Butt Lift With Fat Transfer
The Brazilian butt lift with fat transfer from other parts of the body was the most popular butt surgery in 2015. During a brazilian butt lift, your plastic surgeon sucks fat cells from other areas, such as the thighs, flanks, and abdomen, and injects it into the butt to add volume.
This method requires a high degree of skill by the surgeon; the body reabsorbs some fat. So, the plastic surgeon must overfill the buttocks to a degree to get the best result. It also takes great skill to ensure both buttocks are the same size.
Many people like this procedure because it shapes the rear and removes troublesome fat from other parts of the body. And because the fat is from your body, there’s no chance of rejection.
This procedure works best for patients who have enough fat to harvest from other areas. For thin patients, other butt enhancement procedures may be needed.
Sculptra Butt Lift Surgery
In this buttock lift procedure, the Sculptra filler is injected into the buttocks. The material adds volume, but over time, the body adds collagen, enhancing the results after a few months.
You may need several procedures to see a major difference.
Enhancement to the buttocks also can involve liposuction. The process takes extra fat from certain parts of the buttocks to get the best shape and contour. You could be a candidate for liposuction and butt implants if you have excess fat in the region from losing weight or aging.
Silicone implants are used to enhance the butt when other procedures aren’t suitable for the patient. Unlike various injections, solid silicone implants are placed in the buttocks in an incision between the butt cheeks.
The procedure can be combined with fat transfer to get the best results. This surgery requires at least a month of BBL recovery time when sitting on the rear is almost impossible.
Implants can be the best option for those who don’t have enough fat to transfer for a Brazilian butt lift.
In the realm of cosmetic surgery, liposuction is surgical procedure utilized to perform a fat transfer procedure that eliminates excess fat from various body areas, including the lower back, thighs, hips, and abdomen. This harvested then injected fat is subsequently refined and reintroduced into the buttocks, enhancing their size and shape in a procedure known as buttock augmentation.
How Safe Are Butt Implants?
Butt implant surgery has a 95% satisfaction rate, according to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. But the surgery still has risks:
- Bleeding after surgery
- Exessive pain
- Discoloration of the skin
- Fluid and blood accumulation in the buttocks
- Skin loss
The silicone implants also can slip out of place or move. That problem requires revision surgery.
Who Is An Ideal Candidate for Butt Augmentation?
Buttock augmentation is popular, but they aren’t right for everyone. You could be a good candidate for a butt implant or a Brazilian butt lift if you:
- Lost weight recently and lost shape to your buttocks and have excess sagging skin
- Feel that your natural butt shape is too flat while maintaining a stable weight
- Think your butt needs more curves to balance out your body
- Want to fight aging, such as flatness, sagginess, or excess skin
- Don’t smoke
- Have a healthy lifestyle and are in good health with a healthy weight
It’s also important to have realistic expectations about what enhancements to the butt can do. Your doctor will talk to you to find out if your goals are reasonable.
What You Can Expect
If you think you want to have cosmetic procedures on your butt, below is more information about what to expect:
- Consultation: Your plastic surgeon will review your various gluteal augmentation options, including injections and implants, and will talk to you about the improvements you want to see. Based on what you say and a physical exam, she’ll recommend the best plastic surgery procedures for your case. Remember that plastic surgery on the butt is a serious procedure, so she’ll also want to know about your medical past allergies and your current medications, including all vitamins and supplements.
- Procedure: Please review the butt enhancement procedures above to learn more about the options.
- Aftermath: If you have a Brazilian butt lift, your doctor will give you bandages and pain medication, but the recovery only takes a few days. Butt implants require surgical dressing and pain medication for several weeks.
- Recovery: Your recovery can be minimal for fat injections or much longer for other procedures. Most non-surgical procedures require almost no recovery time, but surgical options such as a Brazilian butt lift can be a month or longer. You cannot sit in your rear in that time, so be prepared for a challenging recovery in this case.
Regardless of the buttock augmentation surgery that is recommended for you, whether it be a Brazilian butt lift, fat grafting, or butt implants, our office will be able to accommodate your individual needs.
Request a Houston Cosmetic Procedure Consultation
If you think you’re interested in cosmetic procedures to enhance your butt, please set up a consultation with Dr. Ashley Steinberg today. She’ll talk to you about the benefits and risks of various options and determine if you’re an ideal candidate. As a female plastic surgeon in Houston, she will understand your needs better than other doctors.
- Butt Implants Procedures and Risks. (n.d.). Accessed at https://www.healthline.com/health/butt-implants#risks-and-precautions
- Buttock Enhancement. (n.d.). Accessed at https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/buttock-enhancement