Millions of Americans began working at home during the pandemic because they could stay in touch with the office with Zoom and other popular apps. But as more people saw themselves on camera for hours, they began to focus on their imperfections.
And then, some noted the excess fat under their chin and decided to have double chin liposuction in Houston.
It turns out that seeing one’s face for several hours per day on a low-quality camera makes us see ourselves more critically. This could be why there has been at least a 50% rise in plastic surgeries during the pandemic.
If you have been thinking about liposuction double chin surgery during the pandemic, below is more information to consider.
Americans Working From Home Soared in 2020
It is estimated that more than 60% of Americans began working at home when the pandemic began in 2020. And many wanted to continue it indefinitely, and some have.
In 2020, several Massachusetts scientists sent a survey to 135 dermatologists, and the results found that many of their patients wanted more cosmetic consultations than before.
Further, 85% of the dermatologists surveyed said patients cited Zoom calls as a major reason to have procedures. About 80% of patients were concerned about their forehead, and 78% were unhappy with their eyes.
When they were asked what patients wanted the most since the pandemic started, more than 90% of the doctors said Botox, and 80% said dermal fillers.
It’s important to remember that the cameras on digital devices and laptops can distort the face. These cameras exacerbate the excess fat beneath the chin. For example, most webcams have a shorter focal length that can make the face look rounder and the chin fatter. It is no surprise that interest in both chin liposuction and neck liposuction has increased. Facial liposuction is on the rise.
The fact that the camera shoots from below the face also can make someone’s chin look fuller than it is.
Americans Also Noticed Neck And Chin Flaws During Zoom Calls
The survey above also noted that many Americans became focused on aging in the chin because they took so many Zoom calls during the COVID-19 era. People began to ask their plastic surgeon about procedures like chin and neck liposuction for these reasons:
- Remove or minimize a double chin
- Make them look younger and thinner
- Remove loose skin
- Reduce wrinkles
Fortunately, there are several ways patients can address the chin and neck with cosmetic procedures:
- Kybella: This is a chin procedure that injects Kybella, which is derived from an acid that is in the gallbladder that dissolves excess fat. When Kybella is injected in the chin over several sessions, it can mostly or entirely eliminate a double chin.
- Chin Liposuction: This procedure can suction excess fat from under the chin and neck. A chin Liposuction procedure can be an effective option, but it requires a lot of skill by the plastic surgeon to ensure an even result.
- Neck lift: If the patient has a double chin as well as loose neck skin, a neck lift may be needed. This procedure can be combined with liposuction for double chin surgery or a facelift for maximum results. Neck lift surgery is a surgery growing in popularity.
- Neck Liposuction is another option that works in a similar manner to chin liposuction. Like chin liposuction, neck liposuction is concerned with removing fat cells to help create a more pleasing appearance. General anesthesia is administered and the surgeon removes fatty tissue in the neck area or around the chin in hopes of double chin removal. Local anesthesia is utilized in these procedures as these are serious cosmetic surgery.
Kybella injections have become one of the most popular ways to remove a double chin because there is no surgery involved.
However, there are some drawbacks to consider with this procedure. First, surgeons note that Kybella injections can be painful, more so than dermal fillers or Botox.
You also may have a swollen neck for up to 10 days, and at least two or three procedures are usually needed.
On the plus side, Kybella offers long-lasting results for a double chin, as long as you maintain a healthy weight.
Note that Kybella injections aren’t the best option if you don’t have elastic neck skin or the neck muscles look loose. This procedure only will dissolve excess fat, so if you have problems with the skin and muscles, you may need a neck lift.
Many Americans became more critical of their appearance during the pandemic because they saw themselves as others see them on Zoom calls.
While it’s important not to be overly critical of oneself, there are effective procedures available to address a double chin. Talk to your plastic surgeon about the methods mentioned above, and they’ll tell you which may be the best choice for you.
Questions and Answers
How Long Does Chin Lipo Recovery Take?
Following chin liposuction surgery, patients typically can return to their usual daily routines within about 2 to 3 weeks. Throughout this time, you should generally experience a sense of normalcy in your daily life.
How Long Does Chin Lipo Last?
As your body is incapable of generating new fat cells, the outcomes of this procedure are regarded as enduring. Following completion, there will consistently be a reduced number of fat cells in your chin. Nevertheless, it’s crucial to recognize the importance of sustaining a healthy lifestyle even after the procedure concludes.
Request a Houston Double Chin Plastic Surgery Consultation
Interested in double chin liposuction in Houston? Please set up a consultation with Dr. Ashley Steinberg today. She’ll talk to you about the benefits and risks of chin liposuction.
Zoom Dysmorphia Prompting Cosmetic Surgery. (2021). Accessed at https://www.yahoo.com/now/zoom-dysmorphia-prompting-cosmetic-surgery-124935567.html
Double Chin Surgery. (n.d.). Accessed at https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/21534-double-chin-surgery
Double Chin Surgery Overview. (n.d.). Accessed at https://www.healthline.com/health/cosmetic-surgery/double-chin-surgery