Many patients want to see a slim, streamlined face in the mirror. But they may have extra fat in the jawline and chin that leads to a double chin, also known as submental fullness.
A double chin can happen for many reasons, including genetics, weight, the position of the airway, and anatomy. If you don’t like your double chin and cannot lose it with exercise and diet, you may want double chin surgery.
But what are the best options to eliminate this problem? Please continue reading to find out more.
Double Chin Surgery Overview
The first thing to understand about Houston chin liposuction surgery is there’s more than one way to address the issue. Your plastic surgeon may use one of these procedures to slim your jawline, neck, and chin:
- Houston Liposuction: This is the most common and cost-effective way to address a double chin. Your plastic surgeon will make small incisions in the treatment area and remove the desired amount of fat with a cannula. You may choose to have chin liposuction as part of your mommy makeover.
- Houston Facelift: This procedure may be a good choice if you have fat and loose skin in the lower face and chin. The surgeon may do a facelift because liposuction alone won’t eliminate sagging, loose skin.
- Houston Neck lift: The surgeon can use several types of neck lift to remove extra skin and tighten the underlying muscles. They may combine a neck lift with a facelift for best results.
Chin Liposuction Steps
If your doctor chooses liposuction for your double chin surgery, these are the basic steps:
- The surgeon will check the neck and chin and mark with a pen to show where they will put the cannula.
- The skin is cleaned with antibacterial soap that minimizes the risk of infection.
- The surgeon administers local or general anesthesia.
- They make several incisions in the chin that are just big enough to insert a cannula.
- The extra fat is removed with the cannula by moving it back and forth. It’s essential to observe how much fat is removed so there is a smooth appearance.
- Bandages are applied and a compression chin strap to mold the skin to the slimmer contours.
Non Surgical Chin Procedure Options
There are other ways that some patients can reduce the appearance of a double chin. For example, deoxycholic acid is a new injectable treatment that can eliminate a small amount of fat from the chin. Its brand name is Kybella.
This substance is derived from the gallbladder, which uses it to dissolve the fat we consume. Injecting the acid under your skin in the chin area will melt fat, which your body will slowly reabsorb.
However, this nonsurgical approach requires at least two or three procedures over three or four weeks. But some may need as many as six treatments, depending on how much fat you have.
Also, there are some downsides to deoxycholic acid that your surgeon will review:
- The injections are more painful than Botox and dermal fillers. And you may have a swollen neck for up to 10 days after each session.
- The treatment offers long-term results, but you must maintain a steady weight, or the fat will return.
- It’s becoming more popular because it’s nonsurgical, but it’s not as quick and easy as some people believe.
Remember that Kybella isn’t an attractive option if you have loose skin under the neck or have loose neck muscles. These issues will probably require correction with a facelift and neck lift.
Double Chin Surgery Risks
Double chin surgery is usually safe and effective, but any surgery has risks. Some of the risks your doctor will cover with you are:
- Excessive bleeding that requires revision surgery
- Anesthesia complications
- Skin numbness
- Damaged nerves
Also, there is a chance that you won’t have the results you want with any plastic surgery. That’s why it’s crucial to be honest with your surgeon and discuss what you expect from the procedure.
Recovery time for double chin surgery depends on the method your surgeon uses. For liposuction, you may only need a few days to recover. However, it’s essential to continue to wear the chin compression garment according to your surgeon’s instructions.
Double chin surgery can give you a slimmer appearance to your face and neck. This procedure can make a dramatic difference in how you look and also can boost your self-confidence.
Your surgeon needs to conduct a physical examination and talk about your goals before they can recommend a specific double chin surgery procedure for you.
Request a Houston Double Chin Consultation
Interested in double chin surgery in Houston? Please set up a consultation with Dr. Ashley Steinberg today. She’ll talk to you about the risks and benefits of double chin surgery to help you decide if this is a good choice for you.
- Double Chin Surgery – What You Need To Know. (n.d.). Accessed at https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/double-chin-surgery-what-you-need-to-know
- About Double Chin Surgery. (n.d.). Accessed at https://www.healthline.com/health/cosmetic-surgery/double-chin-surgery