Numerous patients desire a slender, contoured facial appearance upon looking in the mirror. Nonetheless, they might have an excessive amount of fat cells in their jawline, resulting in submental fullness or a double chin. Double chins are a common concern among many patients today, it is no wonder this procedure is popular.
Various factors such as genetics, weight, airway positioning, and upper neck anatomy can cause double chins. If exercise and diet fail to reduce it, surgery could be an option worth considering.
To learn more about the optimal techniques for eliminating double chins, please read on.
DOUBLE CHIN SURGERY OVERVIEW
The first thing to understand about Houston chin and neck liposuction surgery is there’s more than one way to address the issue. Your plastic surgeon may use one of these procedures to slim your jawline, neck, and chin:
- Houston Liposuction: This is the most common and cost-effective way to get rid of a double chin. Your plastic surgeon will make small incisions in the treatment area and remove the desired amount of fat cells with a cannula. You may choose to have chin liposuction as part of your mommy makeover.
- Houston Facelift: This procedure may be a good choice if you have fat and loose skin in the lower face and chin. The surgeon may do a facelift because liposuction alone won’t eliminate sagging, loose skin.
- Houston Neck lift: The surgeon can use several approaches to remove extra skin and tighten the underlying muscles. They may combine a neck lift with a facelift for best results.
CHIN LIPOSUCTION STEPS
If your doctor chooses liposuction for your chin surgery, these are the basic steps:
- The surgeon will check the neck and chin and mark with a pen to show where they will put the cannula.
- The skin is cleaned with antibacterial soap that minimizes the risk of infection.
- The surgeon administers local or general anesthesia.
- They make several incisions in the chin that are just big enough to insert a cannula.
- The extra fat, and fat cells, are removed with the cannula by moving it back and forth. It’s essential to observe how much fat is removed so there is a smooth appearance.
- Bandages are applied and a compression chin strap to mold the skin to the slimmer contours.
NON SURGICAL CHIN PROCEDURE OPTIONS
There are other ways that some patients can get rid of a double chin. For example, deoxycholic acid is a new injectable treatment that can eliminate a small amount of fat. Its brand name is Kybella.
This substance is derived from the gallbladder, which uses it to dissolve the dietary fat we consume. Injecting the acid under your skin in the neck and chin area will melt the fat cells, which your body will slowly reabsorb. This procedure is a very detailed procedure operating at the microscopic level, addressing the fat cells directly.
However, this nonsurgical approach requires at least two or three procedures over three or four weeks. But some may need as many as six treatments, depending on how much excess fat you have.
Also, there are some downsides to deoxycholic acid that your surgeon will review:
- The injections are more painful than Botox and dermal fillers. And you may have a swollen neck for up to 10 days after each session.
- The treatment offers long-term results, but you must maintain a steady weight, or the fat cells will return.
- It’s becoming more popular because it’s nonsurgical, but it’s not as quick and easy as some people believe.
Remember that Kybella isn’t an attractive option if you have loose skin under the neck or have loose neck muscles.
These issues will probably require correction with a facelift and a neck surgery.
DOUBLE CHIN SURGERY RISKS
To get rid of a double chin reduction is usually safe and effective, but any cosmetic surgery also has risks. Some of the risks your doctor will cover with you are:
- Excessive bleeding that requires revision surgery
- Anesthesia complications
- Skin numbness
- Damaged nerves
Also, there is a chance that you won’t have the results you want with any plastic surgery. That’s why it’s crucial to be honest with your surgeon and discuss what you expect from this surgical procedure targeting your stubborn chin fat.
Recovery time for double chin surgery depends on the method your surgeon uses. For liposuction, you may only need a few days to recover.
However, it’s essential to continue to wear the two chin and neck compression garment according to your surgeon’s instructions.
Double chin reduction can give you a slimmer appearance to your face and neck area. In eliminating your chin fat, this procedure can make a dramatic difference in how you look and also can boost your self-confidence. Surgeons have noticed that chin fat has bothered people more in recent years due to the advent of video calling which is often conducted close to the face. This close proximity of calling puts a spotlight on the extra chin fat and has resulted in patients being acutely aware of their extra chin fat.
Your surgeon needs to conduct a physical examination and talk about your goals before they can recommend a specific double chin liposuction surgery procedure for you.
Questions and Answers
Can double chin be removed permanently?
Yes, under chin fat removal can be permanently removed through several methods.
In some cases, a neck lift surgery may be required to address sagging excess skin and excess fat in the neck area. This procedure removes excess skin and tightens the underlying muscles, resulting in a smoother and more youthful appearance.
It’s worth noting that losing weight, a balanced diet, and regular exercise can also help prevent the development of a double chin in the first place.
How painful is a double chin removal?
The level of pain experienced during a double chin removal procedure can vary depending on the method used.
Surgical procedures such as liposuction or a neck lift may involve more pain than non-surgical procedures such as Kybella injections. However, most patients report that any discomfort is manageable with pain medication and resolves within a few days to a week.
During a liposuction procedure, the patient is typically under general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedation, so they will not feel any pain during the procedure.
After the procedure, the patient may experience mild to moderate pain, swelling, and bruising, which can be managed with pain medication.
Kybella injections involve a series of small injections, and patients may experience some discomfort, swelling, and bruising after the procedure. However, this discomfort is usually mild and short-lived.
Overall, the level of pain experienced during a double chin removal procedure varies from person to person, and any discomfort can usually be managed with medication and should subside within a few days.
It’s essential to discuss any concerns you may have about pain management with your healthcare provider before the procedure.
REQUEST A HOUSTON DOUBLE CHIN CONSULTATION
Interested in submental liposuction in Houston to get rid of a double chin? Please set up a consultation with Dr. Ashley Steinberg a board certified plastic surgeon today.
She’ll talk to you about the risks and benefits of surgery to help you decide if this is a good choice for you.
- Chin Surgery – What You Need To Know. (n.d.). Accessed at https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/double-chin-surgery-what-you-need-to-know
- About Chin Surgery. (n.d.). Accessed at https://www.healthline.com/health/cosmetic-surgery/double-chin-surgery